Roni Hochman Sussman
Israel Innovation Institute
The Israeli Aquaculture Industry
Much of the solution to the world’s food insecurity can be found in fish. Fish are more efficient at converting feed to protein than any other animal. No other animal can be raised at a density even approaching that of fish. Unlike raising chicken, pigs and cows, no efforts need be undertaken to provision wild fish with water.
Listen to this unique podcast and learn the answers to questions such as:
- Besides fish, what products are produced by Israeli aquaculture? What end markets do these products serve?
- How are Israeli companies making use of ammonia discharge from aquaculture to grow crops?
- How capital intensive is land-based aquaculture?
- Do fish raised in land-based aquaculture realize that they are not being raised in a natural environment? If so, does this realization affect their behavior?
- Are the fish raised in Israeli aquaculture genetically modified?
- How does using solar power reduce electricity requirements and evaporation?
- What role do regulators play in aquaculture?
Among the Israeli aquaculture companies discussed were Aquatech Fisheries, Pure Blue Fish, and AquaMaof.
Roni Hochman Sussman
Roni Hochman Sussman is the AquaculTech Managing Director at the Israel Innovation Institute. Previously, Roni was a biology specialist at Algatechnologies and a project manager at Hazera Seeds.
00:00:59 – And you don’t need a lot of fields to grow food for fish.
Aquaculture is the the most sustainable food production system for protein from animal protein food production in the world.
Uh, it doesn’t consume a lot of land, it doesn’t consume drinking water, and it doesn’t pollute drinking water. And you don’t invest as much food, as much food feeding fish and and seafood as you do in the in the cows, for example, in beef, for example. And you don’t need a lot of fields to grow food for fish as you do for a.
Or a beef actually in the world today 80 % of the land used for agriculture is used to grow food for our food and not directly to grow vegetables for humans for example.
So land use is a main is very big issue.
00:09:48 – So it’s possible to produce a lot of energy during using solar energy systems.
I think in Israel also solar energy is very strong and and very common. So I’m not sure that you use a lot of electricity like in the United States, I’m not sure.
And in the United States it’s it’s a, it’s an option like it is in Israel because Israel is main areas are desert. So we have a lot of radiation and a lot of Sundays and and a very few cloudy days.
So it’s possible to produce a lot of energy during using solar energy systems. So that’s for the energy side and then I think there’s a. There’s a lot of Israeli companies. You mentioned the American company.
I can mention Aqua Maof which is in an Israeli company that builds those systems around the world.
00:28:23 – Bluefin tuna is a project conducted in Israel and it started many years ago.
Many kinds of fish, some are better in aquaculture and some don’t, some have a great protocols and some are still under development.
For example like tuna, bluefin tuna is a project conducted in Israel and it started many years ago.
It’s a global project that they were was led by the late Hilal Gordin and it’s still going on in Spain mainly and the other locations in the world. And it still has not been finished.
00:34:47 – I mentioned in the beginning that Israel was a leading 30 years ago…
I think this is the one of the main issues that we are dealing with as a Community because I mentioned in the beginning that Israel was a leading 30 years ago and the past 20 years it, it was, it was a degradating industry in Israel, if I can use that phrase in English.
More companies were closed in the past 20 years than opened, so I think the main problem in Israel is regulation and the we are dealing with with that of course.
1) Enhanced Negotiating Strategies: This two-day seminar discusses the most intense negotiating strategies and tactics allowed without violating your ethics or morals
3) Solution Nation – The Book: Learn how the world’s most disadvantaged and destitute people stand to benefit from Israeli ingenuity.